Back in 2020, Jo King listed her Hawaiian home for sale. Needless to say, selling a home during a pandemic proved more than a little challenging. Instead, she pulled it from the market. Now she thinks it’s time to try again. Her Monolithic Dome home is in one of the most beautiful settings we have ever seen — on the island of Kauai.
What we like most about homes being listed for sale are all the wonderful pictures the realtor takes. Now we get to take a tour of her tropical abode.
About the house
This is what the realtor has to say about the home:
Monolithic Dome home on Waimea River has a lot to offer. Snuggled on an acre of a hidden slice of paradise with breathtaking views in Waimea Valley on Kauai, it’s surrounded by an abundance of history and natural beauty. The open floor plan offers two bedrooms and two and a half baths upstairs as well as two outdoor hot water showers — all covering about 1,700 square feet. Painted coconut palms adorn the concrete walls, and a large lanai takes full advantage of the views and stars at night. Time to enjoy life with a low-maintenance home that will never need a new roof.
- Low insurance & eco friendly
- 50 amp circuit for welding, etc.
- Gas heat on demand 5 bedroom septic system
- Easy to go off electrical grid with vertical axis wind turbines, the quiet kind, when placed sideways on the dome the wind is forced off the dome into the turbine increasing the wind power entering the turbine
- Underground utilities
- Front yard
- Sprinkler system
- Easy to paint, just 10 gallons
- Super-insulated keeps it cool inside and quiet
- Porcelain tile floors keep the home cool
- Custom vanities in two bathrooms
- Hobart gas range with convection oven used twice
- Commercial grade True brand fridge and freezer
- Free fresh clean no fluoride irrigation water from the Menehune Ditch — the oldest archeological site in the State of Hawaii
- Water feature in the front yard
- Riverfront in the backyard
- Fruit trees: 1 longan, 2 lychees, 1 mac, 1 guava, 1 mango, 3 cherry, 1 orange, 1 papaya & 2 coconut
- Room for a horse or mule for rides up the canyon
- Built-in storage shed
- Washer & dryer hookups downstairs and up
- Three car carport & raised outdoor lounge
- 688 square foot lanai that looks over treetops with a mountain view
- Smaller lanai off the second bedroom
- 2.5 bathrooms upstairs
- Two outdoor showers and one toilet downstairs in the lounge area
[If you are interested in buying this home, visit Sotheby’s International Realty for more information]